weirdowhocarez asked: Hey! I'm starting a blog starting on the 1st about taking a picture a day, and just wanted your advice or whatever! Especially about sticking with it and all that. What was the best way of reminding yourself? Maybe you don't need that, but I'm a reminder kind of person since I'm so busy all the time! Anyways, thanks!
Great idea, and the very best of luck! I posted some thoughts after fifty straight days (Feb 23rd post) that are worth you looking at. After nearly a year of taking a picture a day, here some further thoughts:
- Always carry a camera, even if it’s just your phone. It’s obvious, but you cannot take a picture without one.
- I am a bit of a gear-head, but I ended up taking most of my photos with my Canon S90, because it has been easy to carry with me at all times. Next is my iPhone, and last my Canon 50D, which I have taken very few pictures with; too heavy and bulky for every day use.
- Are you familiar with Peter Reynold’s book, “The Dot”? It’s a kids book, but makes the point that it takes very little to be creative, but you still have to do something. I used to fret over having a “great picture” to post on that day. The reality is, it’s better to have a picture thank none at all, and you’ll find someone likes it.
- My wife tells me that my photography has improved and that it is clear what my preferred style is.
- Finally, be active on Tumblr. I follow nearly three times the number of followers I have following me. I have come to enjoy scrolling through my Dashboard. Some great inspiration and ideas. Like and re-blog your fellow picture takers!
Again, all the very best of luck. It’s been very rewarding for me.